It is important to admit when one has made a mistake. The great thing about blogging is that it is a real-time media and allows for corrections and update. So here is mine.
In my book, and numerous times on this blog, I wrote:
Something like 80-85% of the world’s ice is in Antarctica. And no one really thinks it is melting or going to melt. In fact, if you look at the marks on the IPCC chart above for the contribution of Antarctic ice to ocean levels, it has a net negative impact, which means the IPCC actually expects the Antarctic ice sheet to grow, not melt.
Whoa, that can’t be right! Mr. Gore showed those videos of ice retreating in Antarctica. Well, yes, sort of. Scientists expect that global warming will make the sea currents that circle Antarctica a bit warmer, leading to more precipitation and more snowfall on the continent. Besides, Antarctica is so damn cold that raising temperatures a few degrees is not going to melt anything.
The one exception is the Antarctic Peninsula, which sticks out into the warmer oceans. This land area, representing about 2% of the Antarctic land mass and even less of its total ice sheet, is expected to warm and lose ice while the other 98% gains ice.
Guess what? Mr. Gore chose that little 2% to illustrate his movie. Was he ignorant of the choice he was making, or did he know exactly what he was doing, telling the literal truth (that the peninsula is melting) but leading viewers to the wrong conclusion overall about Antarctic ice?
As shown in bold, for years I have (incorrectly) been saying that Al Gore used footage from ice melting in the Antarctic Penninsula (the only part of Antarctica that is warming rather than cooling) to misleadingly imply that Antarctica was melting. Well, I was wrong. In fact, Gore did not use footage from the Antarctic Penninsula, but rather special effects footage from a science fiction movie.
I am sorry that I said Al Gore was guilty of cherry-picking his filming spots to leave the wrong impresion about Antarctic warming. I should have instead said that Al Gore was guilty of using entirely made-up and fabricated CGI footage to leave the wrong impression about Antarctic warming.
Thank you for the opportunity to come clean and correct this error.